Friday, July 26, 2019

Star Wars: Wedge's Gamble

Star Wars: Wedge's Gamble (X-Wing #2) (Legends, New Republic Era #4)

This is a decent entry to the Star Wars series. While I personally didn't think it was as good as the first entry in the X-Wing series, I think that's because I prefer more space travel and combat compared to the ground based espionage feel that it had. It is still a good story with plenty of great characters introduced. The approach taken to how the rebellion conquered Coruscant was an interesting take, considering how this is an organization that a few years previously could be nearly wiped out in one battle above Endor. I can appreciate the conquest from within approach compared to an all out battle to take the Imperial capital. The book also has a satisfying climax that's very exciting. I also found that it set up for the sequel novels extremely well, making what should be a great victory for the newly formed New Republic a bittersweet experience.

I'd recommend reading this story both for any Star Wars fan and for anyone who likes sci-fi in general. Fans of military fiction should also enjoy this, assuming they aren't the type that can't stand science fiction and expect things to be too realistic. (I know someone exactly like this so hence why I'm saying it). This also works as a decent spy thriller, although that isn't my particular genre so maybe a spy thriller fanatic will scoff at me after reading this book.

Rating:
Story: 3.5 Stars
Characters: 4.5 Stars
Settings: 4 Stars
Literary Quality: 4 Stars
Overall Quality: 4 Salmon

Nerdy Details:
Author: Michael A. Stackpole
Publisher: Bantam Spectra
Published: May 1996
Page Length: 357
Genre: Science Fiction
Sub-Genre: Space Opera
Awards and Nominations:  None

No comments:

Post a Comment

Voices in the Snow

Voice in the Snow (Black Winter #1) Let me start off by saying that I am a fan of Coates' work. She is currently the only author...